Destination weddings are on the rise, and with its close proximity to the east coast, Bermuda’s popularity as a favorite destination wedding location only continues to grow.
Thanks to the numerous cruise lines that call on the island, getting married in Bermuda has never been easier or more affordable. Arriving by cruise ship eliminates the need for hotel room blocks and expensive flights. Often, cruise lines offer all-inclusive wedding packages for their passengers, allowing you to relax and spend far more time with your friends.
Saving money for you and for your guests may be easier than you think. Here are our favorite cost-saving tips:
• Before you begin, have a defined budget in place and stick to it. If you don’t track your costs, expenses can go massively awry.
• Be smart with your guest list. Only invite the people you really want to come. Remember, the more guests, the greater the costs.
• Wedding packages are not always the best idea. They are often filled with things you don’t want or need. Prioritize the things that are really meaningful to you both, whether it’s the photographer, the location, or the music. In other words, don’t spend money on the things that don’t matter.
• Cut down on transportation costs by having your ceremony and celebrations in the same place.
• It’s great to be able to celebrate after your wedding. At first glance, it may seem more expensive to pay an hourly rate for cocktails; in fact, it often works out to be less expensive than paying by consumption. And you’ll be able to properly budget bar costs. Alternatively, offer your guests Prosecco or a traditional rum swizzle instead of Champagne.
• Coming with a large group? Make a list of your must-have photos. Photography is often one of the more expensive costs, and by thinking ahead, the photographer can use their time—and your money—as creatively as possible.
• Instead of a reception on the beach, take a catamaran back to Dockyard. Celebrate with canapes and cocktails. It’s a great way to see the island with no additional transport costs. Breathtaking sunset included and no need for a designated driver.
• This is not the day to be late. When things run as planned, you can avoid unnecessary overtime costs. Hire an experienced local wedding planner. They know the island, the best vendors, and the best way to manage costs, and are there on the big day to ensure that everything goes perfectly. It’s money well spent.